Live Streaming a Funeral is Okay. Because… Politics.
Wow. Just when I thought we couldn’t hit a new low in this country, we are now live streaming a young man’s funeral, for nothing more than political reasons. This is not a dignitary’s funeral. It is not even a celebrity’s funeral. This is the funeral of Michael Brown, who up until he was shot and killed by Ferguson, Missouri police officer Darren Wilson earlier this month, no one outside of his own town had ever heard of.
Despite the fact that all the evidence isn’t in on the circumstances surrounding his death yet. Despite the fact that his father has called for peace and calm around the funeral. And, despite the fact that the family had earlier asked for privacy after their son’s death, they have decided to set up a LIVE STREAM of his services, complete with media release and all.
They have turned a solemn occasion, of burying a dead child, into a political rally, focusing on race relations.
Here are just some of the high points surrounding this circus of a funeral:
- A press release was issued by the family’s new attorney, Benjamin Crump – yes, that same Crump who injected himself into the Trayvon Martin fiasco – stating that in lieu of flowers the family is requesting contributions to the Michael Brown Jr. Memorial Fund. (I’m curious, who does that fund benefit? The family? Are they profiting on the death of their child? My god, I hope not!
- The same press release also states that they will be using a pool system for video and still photography and will distribute pool feeds and photos to the press in a timely fashion.
- Reporters were also invited to attend the funeral, sans their own cameras. Of course they were. They have to keep pushing that agenda.
- Neither close friends or family, who knew Brown, will be delivering the eulogy of 18 year old. Instead it will be Rev. Al Sharpton, who never once met him. Again… agenda.
- Benjamin Crump, who also never met Mr. Brown, will also be speaking at the funeral.
- The funeral will be attended by Trayvon Martin’s parents. (And, CNN misidentified Tracy Martin, Trayvon’s father, as Mr. Brown’s father, and had to quickly cut to commercial after the flub. Wow… I would like to see the media skewing if the “racist” FOX News had made that faux pas. SMH.)
Media Alert: Funeral Arrangements for Michael Brown pic.twitter.com/sPhuGTYNGp
— Benjamin Crump, Esq. (@attorneycrump) August 25, 2014
And, while we had no live stream feeds or satellite trucks for Major General Harold Greene’s funeral, even with him being the highest ranking officer killed in combat since Vietnam, we have them for Michael Brown. Both President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden skipped the funeral of Greene, who was killed in Afghanistan earlier this month. The President made sure he got a round of golf in during his memorial service, however!
Also, Brown’s funeral will get its own delegation from the White House, including Cabinet Secretary Broderick Johnson, who chairs the My Brother’s Keeper Task Force, an initiative President Obama started earlier this year to provide aid specifically for minorities. He will be accompanied by Marlon Marshall, the White House Public Engagement Office’s deputy director, and department adviser Heather Foster. He didn’t even bother to send anyone with that much “rank” from the White House to former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher’s funeral!
.@WhiteHouse Cabinet Secretary Broderick Johnson will attend Monday’s funeral service for Michael Brown along with two other WH officials.
— Valerie Jarrett (@vj44) August 23, 2014
This entire funeral seems totally agenda driven to me. And, after sending White House delegates to it, there is no way they are going to accept anything less than a guilty verdict for the police officer, no matter what the facts turn out to be in this case.